Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dreams and Callings

As I lie in bed struggling with my priorities (as established in my previous post), I still feel pulled to write. I am starting to believe that organizing words is becoming a part of who I am.

I have always believed that we all have callings. But what is a calling? A calling is the unique junction where you most need to be and where the world most needs you. Find that spot, and you know you have been called.

I have been called to care for others, to love others, to help others, to inspire others. I have been given the gift of multiple sclerosis - by chance, I'm sure, but it has come with many blessings. One of the key blessings is that I've learned to encourage others more and worry about myself less. As I step back a bit, my family and friends have stepped up and they are amazing.

I believe that my writing is becoming a point of inspiration for my family and friends to read and to walk away encouraged that they, too, can hang in there - not give up - and work to make the world a better place.

Malcom Gladwell (of the The Tipping Point) has just written the Outliers: Why Some People Succeed and Some Don't. I watched an interview with him as he explained that success at a task or skill can take 10,000 hours to perfect. Some people don't succeed because they give up before they have perfected the skill they were aiming for.

10,000 hours is a whole lot of hours. However, I am starting to honestly feel as if I am supposed to use my gift of writing to help with my calling. 10,000 hours means that I don't have to (and absolutely can't) "have it all" quickly.

I don't have to do it all at once. My blogs are a good beginning. I must clearly state that I am not trying to make money with my blogs. I am trying to get my hours in, to practice, to learn, and to explore this tool to use with my calling. As I begin to think like a writer, I lie awake at night writing in my head.

With my writing, I will make a difference. I will inspire and encourage. And I will not give up too soon.

No comments: